Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Circle Gets the Square!

First, a look back: Fendi’s concentric circle dress from Spring 2008 at right.

GOOSE EGG: Sometimes, a big zero is all you need!
At left, one of many surreal runway looks from Maison Martin Margiela
Credits: ballet studio photo by Mark Seliger, courtesy Fellow Fashionista The Dapper Kid. Runway images are Spring 2009 via style.com unless otherwise noted.
Fendi
Mulberry
Marc Jacobs
MULTIPLE SHAPES
Oversize polka dots with a sheer overlay and a plaid topper at Zero Maria Cornejo
Photo via nymag.com.
Marni
SQUARE DETAILS
A lovely silk square bias at Nanette Lepore
Catherine Holstein
Vera Wang
Cynthia Rowley
Devi Kroell
Antonio Berardi ... subtle squares add interest to this crisp white ensemble.
Donna Karan square jewel-detail skirt
DELICIOUS DOTS
Even couturiers are doing the polka!
At left: CC absolutely adores the painterly effect of this belted Sabyasachi jacket
Overlapping circles on a chiffon blouse at Jaeger London
Elio Berhanyer, via vogue.es
Duro Olowu polka-dot pants
House of Holland
Reem Acra
Christian Dior

RAISED PYRAMIDS
Runway: Oscar de la Renta
Get the look: Lauren Moffatt metallic print jacket, at revolveclothing.com




GEOMETRICIZED ACCESSORIES
3.1 Phillip Lim
Zac Posen
Matthew Williamson
Balenciaga Lattice City classic tote, exclusively at barneys.com - so Tetris Chic!
Burberry Baby Beaton Bag, at neimanmarcus.com
Lucky Brand patchwork hobo, at victoriassecret.com
Jessica Simpson Hask open toe pump with circle cut-outs, at solestruck.com.
Burberry check tile platform sandal, at neimanmarcus.com.
Mimi Holliday by Damaris Petrus bra. Visit net-a-porter.com to buy the set!
Square Bangles are Hip!
Runway inspiration at right: Marc by Marc Jacobs Spring 2009
Steven Shein wood bangle, at pixiemarket.com
FROCKS GET SQUARED AWAY AND CIRCLED UP!
Runway love at left: Giles
Get the Giles gradation look for less with this Forever 21 frock!
Diane von Furstenberg Jovana Lurex dress, at net-a-porter.com
Off-the-shoulder silk dress, at victoriassecret.com
Tucker tunic dress - would be perfect belted! Visit tobi.com
At right: First Snow Fall dress, available at lulus.com. CC loves the name of this frock, and the variety in dot size...
Tell CC: do you wear polka-dots?
Have any square-embellished items in your wardrobe?
CC is quite taken with this bold Marni necklace from net-a-porter.com.

If you are so inclined, take a look back at CC's previous circle and square posts!


39 comments:

Dana (MODAna) said...

I have loved that Lucky Brand patchwork bag since it came out over a year ago...

Anonymous said...

For all of these pictures I either loved or loathed them, who knew circles and squares could be so polarizing? I really really really want the yellow skirt with black squares on it, am off to write my letter to Santa now...

La Belette Rouge said...

When I was in high school I was a dot fiend. I got a bit burnt out. Just recently I have fallen in love with geometry again. I got a gorgeous circle skirt at Saks that I love so much that I pet it. I would love a shirt with some kind of squares on it. I didn't know that until I saw your Hollywood Squares inspired post.;-)

♥ Cara Mia ♥ said...

Not really a polka dot girl...BUT, I am LOVING the color contrast of the black & white polka dot shirt and the frilly yellow skirt!
So cute! I'd have to make an exception for that outfit. :)

WendyB said...

That tiered gown is beautiful.

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

These kinds of details are so intriguing--especially when not in polka dot or check.
P.S. I'm so flattered you featured me a little while back--I haven't gotten to read many blogs lately. :(

Lisa said...

I really enjoyed this post and seeing how such simple geometric shapes were used in so many different ways!

Haha as for items in my closet with square shapes, I think the only thing that might qualify would be this H&M dress. It's got scribbly oblong rectangles all over.

Syed said...

I love the dots, these are wonderful! Plus when they are used without being actual polka dot designs, it is super :)

MakeupByRenRen said...

i love how this is so high fashion yet wearable at the same time :)

Susanna-Cole King said...

Oh circles and squares!! These looks are beautiful! I'm always so impressed with how you always find such a big and great selection of pictures! I really get a feel for whatever trend you talk of! :)

xoxo,
S-C

Jantine said...

Thank you for your sweet comment :)

What an inspiring post! Very nice looks. I especially like the Mulberry dress. Like the simplicity (if that is a real word; ). And the Jessica Simpson pump is also great!

Oh, and the rain boot is a real must in Holland. It has been raining all day long! Stupid.
But I think I'm going to buy a pair of rain boots so rainy days will not be stupid anymore! Yeeh! :)
So, also thanks for that post ;;

Love,
Jantine

leeselooks said...

i am really drawn to the Marni necklace.

oh so lovely.

x.

Alison Purple said...

First of all the first picture of the dancers is AWESOME! Secondly,I won't bore you with all that I liked...but I Love those teal heels with the silver dots!

please sir said...

Wow - that first image is stunning!

Angela said...

square bangels. i am really big on geometric print ready to wear.

S (formerly of Modern-Guilt) said...

very cool post! I've noticed geometric is really in right now, and this is the best compilation of it I've seen!

Hunters Glory said...

GREAT title for your post!

and the cat did not get my tongue...

;)

Elizabeth said...

HOLY COW do I love that Balenciaga Crossword bag.

Mónica said...

personally I don't like circles nor squares on my clothes, but I would prefer circles!

Anonymous said...

I love circles, they conjure up al sorts of images from futuristic discs to old-world coins - and I love everything you've posted here.

Economy of Style said...

I adore the geometric prints! Gorgeous.

Mrs.French said...

I love your circles...thank you.

Songy said...

that motor bag is super interesting.
Oh my..I so want it.

chauss said...

your blog is better than most monthly magazines! kudos to you for all your the hard work and effort. xx chauss

♥ Marta ♥ said...

Large patterns are out of my comfort zone but I do like the idea of circle/square jewelry - it's artsy and fun :)

Hope you have a wonderful day :)

bronwyn said...

Well, I must say, although I have seen circles and dots I didn't much notice a trend unil you pulled this all together....ermmm....well spotted:) Loving the Burberry sandals *sigh*. Also enjoyed the post below, those uneven drapey skirts and hemlines are totally fabulous!

tessa said...

The stripe dress is stunning. Great post.

Diana Coronado said...

Diane von shoes are soooooooooooooooo beautiful !!

U're invited to take a Tiffany cupcake in my blog !!

Sara Morante said...

The Philip Lim hand bag is great, and so is the Diane Von Furstenberg dress... so cool pattern! Got a Laga dress in silk, with that kind of retro design in red+olive colors.

Puchi said...

Love the pictures!! Really are an inspiration!!
BTW, love your comments on my posts, did you buy the latex leggings from AA????
XOXO

Fashionista Diary said...

i love that marni necklace! xo marni is just so amazing

Rebecca Jane said...

I am loving the geometric prints and shapes - gorgeous!

Lauren said...

hahah WOW i havent realized all the polka dots that have been all over the runways lately!

Katarina Kühl ~ PencilFashion said...

you post so many pretty things that i'd like to have, hehe :)

Diego R. Wyatt said...

CC I am a huge fan of the polka dots lol! I live for them! The Sabyasachi coat is mind-blowing. It takes the trend to an entirely different level. I wish LV would do a monogram polka-dot bag and duffel. The trend needs to surface more in upcoming menswear collections.

Unknown said...

always loved polka dots! :)

LenoreNeverM♡re said...

Loving the dots/circles...I'm amazed at how you've compiled the 'themes' together great job...you r so fabulous! Thanks for your kind words dear...
~Charmed*

Fifi Flowers said...

Some FUN fashions! LOVE that first photo in ballet studio!

Lil Midget said...

The studded belt and heels are L.O.V.E!