Thursday, December 11, 2008

Wearable Art

The designs in today’s post are painterly – spattered, watercolored, or otherwise touched by the artist’s brush, recalling the Wearable Art movement led by Alexander Calder and Louise Nevelson!
As we all, know, designers are artists! Every atelier is a studio...
At right, Jason Wu at work, pictured in U.S. Vogue.
The painterly trend at its finest: Fashion Flashback: Karlie Kloss in hand-painted Dolce & Gabbana, via communitylivejournal.com.
Backstage at Carlos Miele, via nytimes.com. Other runway photos courtesy style.com except where otherwise credited.
Roberto Cavalli’s finely wrought bodice recalls Dutch ephemera.
Akris goes splat(ter) . . .
As does Rubin Singer;
this and next via nymag.com.
Jean-Charles de Castelbajac (menswear, at right)
John Galliano
Talbot Runhof’s Rothko-esque dress, via nymag.com.
Pointillism at Akris, via nytimes.com


and Agnes b., via nymag.com.
Anne Valerie Hash’s watercolor effect frock
Handpainted tights and coat at Christian Lacroix Couture Colette Dinnigan is dip-dyed
Bold brushstrokes at Celine
Basso & Brooke’s painterly touch... Applique takes the shape of brushstrokes!
A single blue swirl at Pringle of Scotland
Miu Miu’s purposely defaced skirt relies on a single pink spray-painted splash
Michael Angel
Emanuel Ungaro
Barbara Bui; this and next via nymag.com.
Jonathan Saunders' drip . . . drip . . . (at right)

Accessories to DYE for!
AV Max paint-splash enamel cuff, at pixiemarket.com.
Irregular Choice It’s A Wrap white leather boot with paint splash print
House of Dereon Angel pump, $79 at shopdereon.com.
Rebecca Minkoff Mab tie-dye bag
Beth Springer tie-dye clutch. Visit bethspringer.com.
Zimmerman Stud bag, at shopbop.com.
Rebecca Taylor scarf, pictured via elle.com.
Blank Legit splatter zipper jeans - get the ripped look without the added breeze at intermixonline.com.
Gouache Garments!
Go to shopbop.com for first 4 looks.
At right: Hanii Y Rothko print dress - divine!
Diane Von Furstenberg Keva wrap dress
Hanii Y paint effect tight pleat silk taffeta dress with scarf-tie collar
Helmut Lang watercolor drip dress
Oscar de la Renta brushstroke print tank dress, at net-a-porter.com
Lauren Conrad Mojo print dress, pictured at right and available at WinkNYC.com.
Deal of the Day 1: Paint print dress, $58.73 at asos.com.
Deal of the Day 2: Paint stroke tunic, $22.80 at forever21.com
Bensoni hatch painted skirt, at lagarconne.com.
Pencey splatter skirt, at shopbop.com.
Chloé Rythme printed skirt on sale at net-a-porter.com.
Zac Posen bolero, courtesy brigadeirochic.blogspot.com.
Catherine Malandrino Electricity print blouse, at shopbop.com.
Martin & Osa painterly floral silk tee, $69.50 at martinandosa.com.
Last look: for those of you lucky enough to take a tropical vay-cay this winter, make a real splash with this Chloé bikini, available for purchase at net-a-porter.com.

Get art-y, darlings!

xoxox,
CC

51 comments:

anette said...

Hi, I really like your site! The things you pick are all fantastic!!! You have good taste!

poeta fit, non nascitur said...

oh my. i cannot pull off that bikini at all. i fear too much for my modesty. LOL.

okay so here goes, the faves are...

That Akris dress on Chanel,

And the white one Sasha was wearing!

Great picks dear!

Siljesfashion said...

Love the ripped looking jeans. Tricky trend, but oh so much fun! Fab post as always!

Paul Pincus said...

this was AMAZING, cc!

Baybay Mama said...

yey! tye-die! I really love the black blazer so I will take one of those and of course the bikini because I am dreaming of palm trees with this nyc rainy weather!

www.janetteria.com said...

Hi CC,

Wow!
I want a Zimmerman Stud bag & Zac Posen banana style bolero! :D

xoxo: Janet

Charmaine Li said...

wow the cavalli art is just EXQUISITE.. if i only could own them@! so beautiful!!!

Angela said...

i like the celine bikini...

Lisa said...

Thanks for featuring Carlos Miele in this post! He's one of my all-time favourite designers. :-)

deedoubleyou said...

hand painted anything is awesome. and i love prints!
great pics lady..:)

Unknown said...

I want that rainbow shoe!

Girl Next Blog said...

I love the Pollock-style clothes!
And tie-dye's also so cool and such a must now

Penny said...

what a fantastic post. i studied art for 2 years so i really like this one! xx

Nemerae said...

I love all those dresses inspired in art, they are just stunning!! =)
such as the Dolce & Gabbana hand-painted ones, jaw-droppingly beautifuL!!! *.*

MISS GLITZY said...

Some are really pieces of art. Beautiful choices and wonderful post.

Jasnaaa said...

I really like the pics u blog!
Where do you find it?

xoxo

Marian said...

Carrie the artist in me loves this post!I love all those paint splattered pieces.The cuff and slouchy bag from shopbop are just perfect!
muah
marian

LenoreNeverM♡re said...

Art+fashion=fabulousity!
Remember the robot painter in McQueen's show...that was a BIG fashion moment ;)

Frankie said...

So much beauty....sigh x

Syed said...

Love the Cavalli! I love painted fabrics, that uniqueness to each garment and mix of colours is so alluring.

Daniela Valdez said...

I wanna get arty, arty is fun!

I was wondering the other day, you know everything about fashion....If I were Vogue's or Elle's editor, you would be part of my team!!

Ida Kornelia said...

Love your blog:)

Http://idasdagbok.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

So sorry I missed all your posts, I just got back from vacation and head out again but wanted to let you know I have been reading and thinking of you.. wearable art... how fab

ryder said...

i liked a lot what dolce and gabbana started with water colors, i mean it seemed like the entire ss spring was all about watercolors on fabrics. i loved it. so artistic. and karlie looks great.

SOS! said...

splatter splatter..DIY idea mayhaps..

xx- LJ from SOS!

Couture Allure Vintage Fashion said...

Wow, that pleated wrap is gorgeous!

leeselooks said...

so beautiful cc.

i love seeing art in fashion.

chloes "brush-strokes" are breathtaking.

x,

Countrybelle said...

what gorgeous fun! i love that these are both avante garde and playful.
and thank you so much for always visiting BOTH my blogs. you are a busy girl and it means a lot.
xx
chloe
(heartshapedmorning.blogspot.com)

Lil Midget said...

They look great! So artistic :)

xx

Anonymous said...

Gosh, I expected not to like this post - I'm not normally one for prints - yet I found myself loving so much of it!

It's nice to be surprised and have ones perspective shifted :)

michelle said...

so so lovely :)

i.d. said...

These are beautiful! I love that they're all so vibrant and colorful - I wear way too much black and white...

xx

Anonymous said...

Honestly, everyday I have a new favourite post from you and this one is just amazing! I love all things arty and all the pieces you featured are just fabulous!

La Belette Rouge said...

Architecture and now art and fashion. It is nice to see fashion turn to other arts for inspiration.

Siru said...

Again trend I'm fan of. I have been wondering if I would but my self on a test if I could be artistry on one of my shirts.

juliet xxx

Anonymous said...

I can't pick a favorite! They are all so lovely :)

WendyB said...

I'd like to see MrB in that splattered suit. Or maybe not.

Aliena said...

so beautiful... I love that Akirs dress!

Laura in Paris said...

Oh, how I love that Galiano garnment!

maverickandlove said...

wearable art... is so lovely. its completely out there, unique and eye catching!

Sarah said...

I think the watercolour trend is a great move on from floral.

Crave said...

So in love with the splatter paint cuff! Also think this trend could be quite cool if it continues to move....the article in Vogue with Jason Wu was great too! As always, interesting and fantastic post!

Diane said...

i love SO MANY of these looks!!! must be the art history major in me. ha!

MakeupByRenRen said...

love it! the two really are intertwined....

Patri Jorge said...

Larga vida al color (pintura!)
Besos corazón

yiqin; said...

Ah awesome post! I really like the suit one of the guy is wearing. So amazing!

MizzJ said...

I LOVE this trend!! I just wish I'd seen more of it in the stores here.. Vancouver is so slow to take daring fashion. I saved all the shots from the Dolce & Gabbana ad campaign for last spring just b/c each shot was simply a work of art. All your picks are gorgeous and I want them all!!!

Fashion_Girl22 said...

You choices always blow my mind! I'mve never seen that picture of Karlie before... I think I'm in love. <3

I love art inspired pieces. It surly beats having the million dollar price tags of vincent van gogh paintings!

P.S. - You completly read my mind when you said Jennifer was a bit too thin. I was thinking the same thing, but I was wondering if it were the angles. I could only imagine how she felt wearing that in 30 degree weather.

Seeker said...

Art inspired pieces are so beautiful, and feels good when we manage to feel the inspirations.

xoxo

Songy said...

The dress from Akris is just beautiful.

kokostiletto said...

god i love every single thing in this post! i;ve wanted those dereon shoes for so long!