Thursday, July 10, 2008

3Gs: Gossip Girl and Gucci!!!

OMFG! Darlings, CC is in fashion ecstasy! If you haven't seen the Gucci Resort 2009 show yet, proceed immediately to www.style.com/fashionshows/collections/2009RST/review/GUCCI after reading today's Couture Carrie post! Though the majority of the looks were rather retro (think 70s: maxi dresses, long natural middle-parted locks and platform espadrilles), what stood out for CC were the echoes of the PREP SCHOOL vibe of which we have all become so enamored since the inception of TV and fashion phenomenon Gossip Girl. Witness the wonderful WASPiness of Gucci's grosgrain-striped trousers, see Jenny and pals below, and think: hybrid.
The key for the non-teenaged set is to create a sophisticated crossbreed of the Gucci & Gossip Girl vibes - CC calls it 3G!
How to dress accordingly without spending 3G:
1) girly plaids
Think Scottish princess, not Mary-Kate grunge.
For practically pennies, snap up a ruffled plaid shirt from victoriassecret.com.
Or sport some sexy stretch five-pocket skinny pants by Highway Jeans, at alloy.com.
Isn't this Ivy newsboy cap from delias.com adorable, B?
And how sexy school-girl is this fishtail hem bias cut tartan skirt??
Go to victoriassecret.com to buy!

2) smart tweeds
Take a cue from the GG girls (see Blair flanked by fabulous Chanel bouclé-swathed peers on the steps of the Met)!
Try this Nanette Lepore Sultry tweed pencil skirt with playful ruffle hem.
Visit shopbop.com.
.
.
.
.
.
.
3) tights
Bright, opaque, patterned, thigh-high, knee-high, argyle, striped -- practically anything goes when it comes to 3G legwear!
CC is loving . . . Betsey Johnson's athletic-chic red thigh highs
Lacoste's 80s-throwback turquoise tights
Kate Beckinsdale goes naughty librarian in striped thigh-highs (photo courtesy hollywoodtuna.com)

4) ultra-preppy cardigans and blazers
The striped jacket hits the runway at the Gucci Resort show in Milan.
Little J, get the look for less with this sassy striped crested Victoria's Secret blazer.

The aptly named Blair Preppy Cardigan in heather gray from delia*s fits the bill, as does...

this long cardigan tee from Victoria's Secret.
CC adores how it's paired with a tailored striped button-down and cheeky necktie, borrowed from the boys but decidedly feminine!!
5) Accoutrements!
CC likes preppy decorative touches like this Candace Ang antique brass kilt pin, at etsy.com. Wear it on your skirt or your lapel!!
Are these Jean Paul Gaultier Couture herringbone double buckle boots not so fab, S?
And who could forget a ridiculously luxe handbag, like this Goldenbleu Lillian bag, currently half off at shopbop.com!
Until next time, Upper East Siders!
xoxox, CC
Fashion credits: runway photos in this CC post via style.com; Gossip Girl stills courtesy nytimes.com.

40 comments:

FB @ FabulouslyBroke.com said...

I am LOVING that resort look.. so preppy, effortless and chic.

Baby Owl. said...

Ah I love the 3G concept!
Preppy/Gossip Girl style will always have a place in my heart... it's a classic.

starbrained said...

i absolutely love this post! and I adore the Nanette Lepore tweed skirt.

STYLE DU MONDE said...

Lovely post as usual! Such cute girls those gossip girls! xx

Mónica said...

I love stripes and I love gossip girl; so great post!

Fastidious Babe said...

i love the show! resort 09 looks fab too! x

WendyB said...

Those are cute boots in the last picture.

Kira Aderne said...

I love those all, that´s a great post!
This Gucci winter last collection is fantastic!!!

a kiss!!

Squishybubble said...

Yes! Yes! YES!!!
That collection is AH-MAZING!!!

Tricia said...

that's one of my favorite frida collections yet. and i'm amazed at the cute vic secret stuff you've found, i have to go visit!

Karina Cifuentes said...

I don't know what it is...I just can't swallow Gossip Girl or their fashion. I'm sure GG-obsessed fans would burn me at the stake for saying that!

Miss White said...

Lots of lovely inspiration there, I'm really liking the tartan!

Shay said...

good post! Lots of inspiration here

Anonymous said...

sweeeettt... i think these are additions i need for my wardrobe! they might stop people from thinking that i'm older than what i really am!

erin de la cruz said...

I love GG's tights. I havent watched the Gucci Resort yet. =( Prolly later after school. If I am a coffeeholic, your blog is my coffee. Keep well.

Hunters Glory said...

love the thigh high stockings...always have!
good post lil gal ;)

Clara Sheller said...

So niceeeeeeee!I wanna be Blair!!!
Why don´t you post a review on fashion hairstyles???? I really am concerned abput those topics!!!

TIG said...

What a fantastically thorough post on the prep school look. How sexy is the Victoria's Secret fishtail hem tartan skirt? The whole outfit, with white blouse and black stilettos is fantastic.

jessica ann said...

I actually haven't watched Gossip Girl yet but I do love all the screencaps of their clothes! Thank you for the lovely comment and I chose "Cigarettes" because, well, actually I'm not really sure but I love the word! I guess I'm just weird :P And I do not smoke :) xoxo!

Anonymous said...

i just saw that delia's cardigan on their website today! =) ugh. i'm in love with it! i like this post. i'm a fan of the gossip girls book... and the show only for teh fashion because i hate how it totally does not follow the book in the least. not even 20 percent is the same! weird.

Unknown said...

awesome blog! i have been loving corsets and your last post was amazing--so was this one, of course.

Human Racing said...

I really like that Delia's cardigan. Great post!

T said...

OMG I LOVE IT: smart tweeds, cardigans, blazers, I want to go shopping!

la petite fashionista said...

i'm obsessed with gossip girl as well! their style has been super influential to our generation evident by the influx of preppy plaids & knee socks in stores now!:) ive heard lots of good things about the gucci collection so i better check it out:)

xoxo

Annie Spandex said...

Kate Beckinsale looks amazing in that photo!

Anonymous said...

Ohh those Gucci grossgrain trousers are soooo bad ass. I need that in my life.

J said...

i think gucci's collection was really pretty, i like it lots, not a fan of their bags though in the past.

Pamcasso said...

great inspiration. I can't believe that plaid top is from Victoria's Secret! too cute!

Dana (MODAna) said...

you know, I love the show's fashions, but looking at these stills thinking these girls are supposed to be 15-16 and some of them NOT rich (ahem Jenny) their outfits seem ridiculous.
I am gonna go search for a better look at that Delias Blair blazer now...

Sharon S said...

A great post, CC!! I love the tartan trousers-I had some in the 80s, I most probably wouldn't wear them now though-but I still love the trend!

Guirec Munier said...

After Paris Fashion Week...Paris Urban Art ! Come to see this new post ! And thank u very much for ur comment !

See u !

Christina said...

Great Post!!!

Anonymous said...

CC, I COULDN'T POSSIBLY TELL YOU HOW MUCH I LOVED THIS POST.

Victoria's Secret has some great clothes this season!
And I L-O-V-E Blair's style. What's NOT to love about the TV's favorite bad girl ever?

And those athletic-chic red thigh highs are killing me. So damn HOT!

I love Kate Beckinsale, and that photoshoot was just awesome.

"Are these Jean Paul Gaultier Couture herringbone double buckle boots not so fab, S?"
I don't know about S, but I certainly love them! :D

I can't believe I missed so many posts, CC... It's ok now, I'm updated :D

Estudio Nuñez Couste said...

Great looks!!! I LOVE tartan print, and tweed is so glamorous!!!!

Annabel said...

i love the ankle socks! your posts are always so detailed!

DaisyChain said...

What a wonderfully inspiring post! <3 Happy Friday.

queengilda said...

i've only ever watched one episode of gossip girl by accident. haha. i'll admit i'm not a fan. but i do love the preppy look. i still think balenciaga did it best last fall!

ps: maybe it's because i don't live in the upper east side, but i don't see ANY schoolgirls dressing that nice!

Jadore-Fashion said...

omg always loved the preppy look. and am a gossip girl addicted...guess i get addicted to tv for fashion...love all the pics, grear post cc :-)

Doll said...

ooh i love this feature! and those plaid pants are just amazing...

Bang Bang Starz said...

thanks for this post..i love gg fashion..its so over the top and fun... of course I love blair..as you can tell on my blog..lol