Monday, March 2, 2009

CC presents…

An Exclusive Interview with Designer Leon Curry of Ellie Owen!
CC: Your Fall Collection is entitled “The Bail-out”. Please explain.
LC: Well, while I was designing this collection and in the process of officially starting my business, every time I turned on the t.v. it was “Recession, Depression, in this economic time”…on and on. I thought this is not a good time to start a business. I had to bail myself out of that mind state and just forge on and have faith. So the “The Bail-out” is more of an emotional thing, and some of those emotions came out through the collection.

CC: Where and how were you trained? Did you always know you wanted to be a Designer?
LC: I always knew I wanted to do something where I could create and own my own time. I hate to admit it but I am a political science major. Over the years I have taught myself to sew and about the apparel industry and have been blessed to run across people who are willing to help.

CC: Your pieces are exquisitely wrought. What unique materials did you use in this collection?
LC: Well this collection I had a lot of fun with the fabrics. If it felt right, I used it. Everything from a heavy cotton linen to make a coat, to metal mesh to make a lingerie inspired dress. The metal was the hardest to work with because I had to cut every piece on a straight line but make it fit around the curves of the body.

CC: Who are your favorite Designers and primary style influences?
LC: I really do look up to Yves Saint Laurent. The man himself was so stylish and what he did for women’s wear is something I can only dream of. One thing I have wanted to do forever was pose nude like he did for his own fragrance ad. I think that is so awesome and such a statement. That picture is iconic. I don’t even think most people realize that that is Yves Saint Laurent in the picture. I love movement in clothing and love it when a very nonchalant woman is walking down the street with a confident swagger and fabric flowing around her.

CC: Where are you from and where is your Atelier?
LC: I am from Key West, Florida. Currently my Atelier is located in a small town in North Florida but I plan on relocating to New York. I have never lived in a big city so when I visit I find myself talking to people in the subways and crossing the street without a game plan.

CC: How do you envision women wearing your clothes . . . casual or dress?
LC: The Ellie Owen woman views clothing like costumes and everyday she ventures into the world she plays a certain role. Ellie Own is meant to mix and match. They are pieces though bold, are meant to be worn in a variety of ways. I could see the button down dress being worn with a pair of skinny jeans, platform heels and a motorcycle jacket, or the leather tank dress being tucked in to baggy pleated dress slacks. What is fashion without style? So I would say both.

CC: Do you intend to sell your Spiked Leggings and other fabulous pieces in stores, and if so, where and when can we buy them?
LC: I do intend to sell them in stores and hopefully they will be on racks in the fall. The right buyer will come along and not be scared to stock my spiked leggings because I know girls will not be scared to wear them. Unfortunately my budget is not big enough to go to trade shows so I spend all of my days contacting buyers. It is stressful but I am hopeful and I know God didn’t bring me this far to leave me. So any buyers out there want something that is going to fly of the racks contact me at contact@ellie-owen.com. Lol (shameless plug).

CC: Does the modern woman need “armor”?
LC: Today’s woman does need armor. She needs to be armed with class, confidence, education, and a little bit of sex appeal. Being raised by a single mother who had her own unique sense of style really helped me develop a mix of edgy strong femininity in my pieces. Today’s woman should also know that fashion does not only apply to clothing.

CC: How do you envision your business evolving in the coming seasons?
LC: Ellie Owen is a coming of age story, and as women get to know her they will find out that Ellie Lives in them. I see Ellie Owen being sold everywhere. I envision steady growth and creativity oozing from everywhere.

CC: Is there anything else you’d like Couture Carrie readers to know about yourself or Ellie Owen?
LC: I want people to know I have been living a double life. By day I am a student of political science and by night I have been everything from a touring stylist with a music group, a tailor, a show producer on and on. This mix has created Ellie Owen, and if Ellie breaks through this industry please believe she is there to stay lol. Also my name is Leon. L.E.O.N = Ellie Owen.

CC: The name is pure genius, as is your collection! Thank you, Leon, and best of luck!
Read more about Ellie Owen here, darlings, and keep an eye out for this star on the rise! In the comments, please tell CC what you think of the Ellie Owen design aesthetic and Leon's philosophy!

64 comments:

Theresa said...

great great! and I absolutely love your header- it's new, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

I love the spiky knee highs! Great interview!

www.janetteria.com said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE!

Fantastic interwiew!

xoxo: Janet

Gerard Willing said...

Beautiful Blog!!! Just discovered you thru a comment on Miss Glitzy's blog. I've seen lots of red shoes & soles on your pics. And your header: Wow! I'll come back. Thanks.

Sharon S said...

Hi there-a fabulous interview and what stunning pieces!

Keith said...

That's such a great interview. Thanks for sharing that with us. Have a great day. Cheers!

Georgie said said...

Amazing interview. Amazing designs.
x

Black Patent Stilettos said...

wow! it's so strong and feminine at the same time

Montreal Fashion Minds said...

Great interview!

~ Montreal Fashion Minds ~

http://montrealfashionminds.blogspot.com

Tina { Luphia Loves... } said...

a great interview! i really enjoyed reading it :)

xx

Syed said...

Wow, stunning post dear :) Love the photos, the setting works beautifully with the clothing, and those spiked leggings are seriously cool. It is quite fantastic to see that he didn't actually have formal training, but had a dream and went for it :)

Aline said...

Thanks for the fab interview!!

Gracie said...

wow it looks amazing!!

Sara said...

Cool!!

Fashion Moment said...

This is divine, darling!
I really like it.
I tagged you in my today's post.

FM/FP

prettyneons said...

Hey, you've got a new header, wow I love it!
Just popping by quickly to say a big thanks for your kind words on my illustration...I've not been near my PC for a few days and just read your comment, I've missed reading your posts soooo much, haha ;)
Peace & Bows...
PrettyneonsX

Meg said...

Those spikey tights are genius! Great interview with a talented designer!

Penny said...

what an exciting collection, the dress at the end is gorgeous, and those studded socks are fierce!!yr

Baybay Mama said...

Wow, beautiful clothes and fantastic interview.

Larissa said...

Great interview, and, just for the record, I would LOVE to buy and wear a pair of those spiked leggings!

x

A BIT COQUETTISH said...

A fabulous interview! Great questions, CC! =]

xoxo,
La C.

Sasi said...

You know, Mischa's dress is not exactly the same as Tinsley, but it is from the same collection, you can see it here on the runway http://www.style.com/fashionshows/complete/slideshow/S2009RTW-CDIOR?event=show1862&designer=design_house27&trend=&iphoto=28

Anyway, you have an eye, girl! (Hope this makes sense in English)

Also, I love the checked shirt/dress:)

ivoreece said...

great interview!!!

Anonymous said...

This is really interesting, and some of the designs are really good...

Anonymous said...

what a fabulous interview--I just love how textured his clothes are and the different fabrics he makes use of. I definitely see that slight YSL influence in his work!

Anonymous said...

Lovely interview and this line is to die for!

Theresa said...

oh cool :) thanks for commenting, still love those looks

Beauty Standard Blog said...

Yeah i do! With a "D". The day i registered the name i wrote it super fast and forgot the D, so i left it, both on the url and the name. I could change the name though, right?
Thank you though :)

erika sorocco said...

I love the androgynous look of some of the clothes. Plus, I'm kind of in love with knee highs. They bring back memories of Clueless. Fabulous interview!

Beauty Standard Blog said...

Offended? No! Thanks to you i found out i could change not only the name, but the url too.
(I had to settle for 'Beauty Standard' - but oh well...)
Thanks again!

MISS GLITZY said...

Thanks for this interview darling, really interesting and there are some of these outfits I could easily wear, very feminine and chic.

Megan Cassidy said...

LOVE those clothes. I hope he does find the right buyer, because I want those spike leggings.

Lisa said...

What a fantastic interview, CC! I don't see why Leon would be ashamed of his poli sci roots; I think having disparate interests beyond fashion makes anything you pursue in fashion that much more intelligent and interesting. Besides, it was his interest in current events that informed his collection!

Kiki said...

spiked leggings are gorgeous.......love

Mom Fashion World said...

intelligent questions and it was a great experience for you to interview LC.
honestly, i love all LC's collection.

Frankie said...

A great interview from a great designer - good work, CC! x

Brunch at Saks said...

Great interview, Carrie! I love the bag that is one of the first pics; gorgeous!

:)xo

Trish said...

Wow, this is a different post from you, CC! Love it!! :)

phamzy said...

hi dear!
thank youy for including me in your list. i added you in my blogroll!

AsianCajuns said...

I love those clothes and that interview is equally fabulous!

Ariella said...

Great interview! Those silhouettes are amazing - I particularly love that masculine suit.
And it's great to hear that he taught himself to sew and everything! Inspiring!

Hemaly said...

Thanks so much for this interview! and I love your new banner.

Thanks for the link add. :)

Graça Ventura Medeiros said...

Nice ;)

shopinchic said...

Fantastic interview! Fantastic style! And I'm so loving the
spiky leggings.

Frock Around the Clock said...

Those spikes would hurt if you fell on them! Worth the risk though they are amazing :) x

Bradford said...

Great interview. The thought of someone wearing those spiky leggings, forgetting they have them on and crossing their legs really frightens me!

The Voguette said...

this is wonderful! i love his clothes! you're lucky you got to interview him! <3

Secretista said...

Great! Love it! Good job on the interview!!

Allison said...

Darling, your questions were fantastic, you did an absolutely wonderful job :)
I love these clothes, and the interview in entirety. Absolutely wonderful job, darling.

Wanderlusting said...

Very insightful. Loving the header too and that last dress. ~swoon~

Anonymous said...

Her collection is quite chic and very on point with global trends: thigh high footwear/leggings, transparency, bold shoulders, and thin belts. The spikes add that rebel/punk/rocker feel, which we saw in New York (Ronson, Wang, etc.)

Love the title "Bail-out"; So appropriate for the present time.

Daniella said...

Great interview!

Siru said...

Oh the interview was great! you're a journalist!

juliet xxx

Kati said...

Wow, what a great interview!

Annabel Wendt (LoveMore) said...

oh fantastic interview! and goes to show it's never too late to start what you truely enjoy! i think people put themselves under far too much pressure at a young age!

and CC my stocking came!!!!! YAY! have done an outfit post already! :) haha a little excited.
thanks again!

much love LM xxx

Annabel Wendt (LoveMore) said...

ps - love the new header too! you always have such cool creative ones..i need an update myself i think! xx LM

paulistanangelina said...

Great interview, I'd never heard of the brand before, but these looks are fantastic. Love the spiky boots!

Anonymous said...

fabulous interview and gorgeous clothes. i especially love the pairing of sleek and undone. and the over the knee socks with those chunky heels are the perfect compliment to the outfits!
xx
chloe

Beauty Standard Blog said...

hello again, i nominated your blog for an award, please pass it on!

Rosanna said...

woah! those socks with the spikes are so cool

xoxo
rosanna
www.littlemissdressup.com

Anonymous said...

OMG, those spikey overknees! I NEED a pair!

http://labelleetlaitgirl.wordpress.com

Seeker said...

What a great interview CC. Good work as always, my dear.

xoxo

Nina (Femme Rationale) said...

great interview! i kept scrolling to see which pieces are my faves and i have to say i'm loving all of them. thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I love the Thigh Highs.. I love knee highs..... so what if I am a twirty something....right?