Now we all love couture, and of course are all waiting with baited breath for the Academy Awards Red Carpet to begin in a few hours, but let us try to economize from time to time, shall we? Here's how to look fab without breaking the bank. And don't shy away from a high/low mix a la Sienna Miller. Keep everyone guessing!
Great Finds at:
- Old Navy (hello bikinis and scarves, layering tanks)
- Forever 21 (j’adorable boy briefs and cocktail rings; the occasional fab dress)
- Loehmann’s for high-end, obscure designer pieces. It's hit-or-miss, but you can stumble upon a Roberto Cavalli gown or a great pair of Michael Kors shades.
- Kohl’s [gulp!]: Vera Wang has some nice pieces there – but not everything is passable, so shop skeptically, as you always should anyway.
- Target (Isaac is leaving at the end of the year, but there are still other second lines, from Jovovich-Hawk and Loeffler Randall, for example)
B. Sometimes it's rather enjoyable to remind oneself of life's pleasures. So here are A Few of My Favorite Things:
- Starbucks triple lattes
- The Times crossword
- Free samples [kinerase will actually FedEx you a bunch if you make a request via their website – what dolls!]
- Virgin magazines (unopened, untouched, glossy and hot off the press! Just got my Spring Issue of the Bible, aka VOGUE, yesterday – every page a delight!)
- McDonald’s black & white shakes
- Warm Brie & Granny Smith Apples
- Anything by Designer La Petite Salope – delish corset tops and dresses, ideal for all little strumpets!!
- My frozen yogurt guy at 90 NUTS on Broadway
- The Sunday Styles
- Good plastic surgery
- The new Macbook Air
- J Brand skinny jeans
- Throw pillows
- B&W photography
- Positive Feedback on ebay
- Fresh strawberries, preferably with crème fraiche
- Dressing up!
- Picnics (even in the winter – have you tried using one of those reflective lightweight metal “blankets” favored by hikers? You can actually picnic in the snow!!)
- Wrapping presents
- Luxe lingerie [see the A-list from March, above]