Thursday, November 20, 2008

Cool Cutouts

You know how CC loves CCs! Today: the kindest cut of all, from sexy slashes to haute openings...
At right: a model at Tommy Hilfiger, courtesy nytimes.com. Other runway pics via style.com except where otherwise noted.
Divine Details at: Zac Posen
Roberto Cavalli
Thakoon
Celebs work the cutout:
Ashley Olsen in Diane von Furstenberg at the Met Costume Institute Gala, via Getty Images
Selma Blair in Nathan Jenden, via instyle.com
Chado Ralph Rucci
Cushnie et Ochs, via nymag.com
Anna Sui
Benjamin Cho, via nymag.com
Jil Sander
Michael Kors
Kai Kuhne
Cynthia Rowley
Karl Lagerfeld
Colette Dinnigan
Twinkle, via nymag.com
Marios Schwab
Harlan Bel, via nymag.com
Hussein Chalayan
Danielle Scutt
Sonia Rykiel
Hervé Leger, via nymag.com
Rodarte, via nytimes.com
Louise Goldin
Aquascutum
Jil Sander
L’Wren Scott
Jean Paul Gaultier
IN THE STORES:
Left: Castle Starr box pleat dress with starburst beading; this and next 5 at shopbop.com.
Right: Nanette Lepore Magic Wand frock
Ingwa Melero Lotus jersey mini dress with cutout leather detail
Elizabeth and James Belle De Jour jersey halter cutout dress
Young Fabulous & Broke red Slash dress
Twenty8Twelve Jess banded knit vest
Tutu Blu black satin stretch dress with racer cutout back at pixiemarket.com.
Black Halo cutout sheath, at Neiman Marcus.
SuhTahn Maasai dress at tobi.com.



Fendi Honeycomb knitted skirt, at net-a-porter.com
Alisha Levine Lula top, at revolveclothing.com.
Miu Miu python cut out boots at net-a-porter.com.
KG by Kurt Geiger cutout platform shoe boots, at asos.com.
Fashion Flashback: Azzedine Alaia 1980s dress, courtesy Vogue archives.
How do you feel about the cut-out trend, darlings?

29 comments:

S (formerly of Modern-Guilt) said...

This is such a cool trend, I definitely want some cut out pieces! This post of yours is giving me tons of inspiration, so perhaps I DIY is in order :)

leeselooks said...

have a beautiful day cc.

i still love the DVF dress that AO wore to the CFDA awards.
so simple, but the cut-outs add the understated sexiness.

x.

MakeupByRenRen said...

cutouts are instant sex, love it!

MakeupByRenRen said...

cutouts are instant sex, love it!

Da Fashionista said...

loves the black halo for ages. only one in my price range ;)

Anonymous said...

Cutouts are all about the perfect placement. I love how cutouts teeter the line between sexy and trashy, depending on the cutout. For the most part, I think it's sexy.

Anthea said...

Beautiful post. I know I probably say this every time I comment..but where to you find the time??!!!! Inspiring as always!

Fashion Moment said...

Thank you for your comments, my dear. I adore your Blog, too! :)

So, this time, my choice is Jil Sander. :)

FM

Anonymous said...

Love this trend, especially on black dresses. So sensual !

Lisa said...

I'm kind of really in love with the Rodarte dress! I think that if the cutouts are well-done the results are stunning, but if they're poorly done the overall effect is kind of tacky.

Katarina Kühl ~ PencilFashion said...

it's a very interesting trend to me, but i had to find out that it doesn't look good on me...;)

Crave said...

I'm obsessed with the Sonia Rykiel swimsuit!! Makes me wish it was still warm enough to wear something like that!!

Annie Spandex said...

I've been seeing those slashed skinnies or leggings all over the place!

saray said...

I love Cutouts! one of my favorite things is my cutout bathingsuite from AA

WendyB said...

Selma's dress is my favorite. But I can't imagine any point in my life where I'd want to wear a dress cut out in just the right place to show love handles!

Tricia said...

as a layering piece, sure, but my bareskin cutout days are sadly over!

Tiffany said...

that black halo dress is one of my favorites. I like the cutout trend but I can only do very subtle cutouts.

Carolina Lange said...

Amazing cut out dresses and shoes! Cool trend!

Seeker said...

Very interesting and indeed cool.
Just don't know how to incorporate it :(

xoxo

Angela said...

i am think i would like a pair of cut out heels.

Elizabeth said...

After seeing this post, I realized I love cutouts. :D

FASHION CHALET said...

You read my mind with these, CC! Loving cut outs, it makes for a very luxe detail. Wonderful topic and layout. Thanks for your comments, always making me smile OUT LOUD! <3

xx

Petra said...

I just adore cut outs!! I'm trying to figure out how i can sew something incorperating them... Thanks for the wonderful inspiration! xx

Siru said...

Those look so great!

juliet xxx

Songy said...

I thought Collette Dinnigan's dress was special so you thought the same thing! :)

Her designs inspire me this season. You will see more of her stuff soon as part of dressing songy.. just between us. oki? :P

Marian said...

ALAIA ALAIA!! no one quite does it like him! loved the Jil Sander dress,the fendi grey skirt,the simple dress by DVF that Olsen wore and those KG shoes but what stole my heart was the Alaia!!!
hope your well dear,have a great wknd ahead ok.
muah!
Marian

Product Junkie Diva said...

I want to rock cut outs, maybe on my boots.
Have a great weekend.
PJD

Karl-Edwin Guerre said...

This is by far one of the sexiest posts i've seen in a while...... DETAILS,DETAILS,DETAILS!!!

poeta fit, non nascitur said...

I want that black bathing suit!!!