Thursday, September 18, 2008

What the Blazes?

CC’s “uniform”: blazer, tunic, skinny jean, heeled shoe. Works every time! Photo at left from London Fashion Week taken by the lovely Kamel of STYLE AND THE CITY .
Autumn is the perfect season to show off your favorite jackets! A fabulous blazer can be worn with everything from a gown, as at Carolina Herrera’s Spring 2009 show, left . . .
to jeans!
At left: Willliam Rast rocker chic studded white Chanel-esque jacket for Spring 2009.
Runway inspirations via style.com except where noted.
Take stock and round out your collection.

These are the 12 Blazers every gal should have:
1) Schoolboy Pinstripe, Crested or Windowpane plaid in a classic shape and color, preferably navy (Inspiration? "I'm Chuck Bass!")
Boy by Band of Outsiders
At right: J-C de Castelbajac, via Paris Vogue
Forever 21 satin trim blazer with pin
2) Cropped
Richard Chai Spring 2009
3) Fitted Black or Grey, ideally with an interesting twist like contrast panels or a bold shoulder
Diane von Furstenberg Theobald Houndstooth Jacket. Go to shopbop.com
Anna Sui charcoal short jacket, at chickdowntown.com

At right: Luella Deputy blazer in wool silk tweed blend, at lagarconne.com
4) Bright and/or Embellished
Celeb Style: Blake Lively taking a stroll in the South Beach Design District; photo via teenvogue.com
Miami Vice Chic on the runway at Isaac Mizrahi’s Spring 2009 show
At right: J. Crew berry-trim Astrid jacket, at jcrew.com
5) Leather
Classic:
Antonio Berardi
Adventurous, at right: Christopher Kane Spring 2009 – CC looooooved this collection!
Alexander Wang distressed leather blazer, at shopbop.com
6) Tuxedo
Balmain tuxedo jacket, at net-a-porter.com
LaROK Vested Interest herringbone jacket, at shopbop.com
7) Equestrian
Smythe les Vestes Equestrian jacket. Visit shoplanguage.com
Nanette Lepore Love Note riding jacket, at revolveclothing.com
8) Long
Gucci
Luxe 120s long wool jacket, at victoriassecret.com
9) Wool Felt: Tweed, Herringbone or Camel
Victoria’s Secret cutaway blazer
ADAM camel wool slim single button blazer, at bluefly.com
10) Double Breasted
Jonathan Saunders Spring 2009
Gai Mattiolo, courtesy Vogue Paris
Hanii Y double-breasted tweed jacket with funnel collar, at shopbop.com – CC particularly likes this one for its potential to double as an overcoat – remember the layered look this autumn allows for doubling up on jackets!
11) Evening: Velvet, Silk or Shimmery - like this gold Mason slim lapel jacket. Go to revolveclothing.com
12) Military or Band
Alvin Valley jacket at bluefly.com
For the gents:

Runway love: Michael Kors camel blazer


DKNY Spring 2009
CC also loves a corded blazer – splits the difference between casual and put-together! Generra cadet pinwale corduroy blazer, at bluefly.com
The best thing about blazers is that, if they are well-constructed, they are timeless: a gorgeous Chanel bouclé will last you a lifetime! Moreover, blazers are virtually seasonless. A lightweight wool jacket can be worn all-year round!
The choices for autumn are limitless. Spend the few extra dollars to have your blazers tailored. Some of CC’s fave vintage blazers were thrifted 3 sizes too big and now they fit like a glove! If you pay full price, stores such as Nordstrom and J. Crew tailor for free!
Last photo courtesy The Dapper Kid.

49 comments:

La Belette Rouge said...

I love how a blazer can transform the lowliest of ensembles. The Astrid jacket has been calling me, it says "Belette, you must buy me." So far I have resisted as I fear I will look like I am going to a wine festival and trying to look like I am wearing bunches of grapes.

Cupcakes and Cashmere said...

i'm still trying to figure out the best proportions for a blazer since i have a rather large chest. whether to go slim fitting or longer and looser is still up in the air. any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Daniela Valdez said...

I love GG's blazers!!! I never imagined how beautiful that blazer looked with the white dress.. I have a wedding coming soon, I guess I'll take muy beautiful gray blazer with me!!

WendyB said...

I've been wearing all my old suit jackets. I'm glad to put them to use again!

Sharon S said...

A fantastic post!! I too love blazers and have a great mix of styles and shapes in my wardrobe!! A very inspirational post my dear!

Anonymous said...

La verdad es que los blazers me encanta, le dan un toque formal a cualquier cosa que te pongas!

Yo tengo uno guardado en mi armario que creo que tengo que ir sacando jeje

Un besote!

Guapóloga said...

I love blazers but I discontinued the use of them last season it became like a very unestructure style and I looked like a square! I need them to be kind of tight in the waist and structured... Hope to find some good options for my body shape :D

Beso!!

Simone

S (formerly of Modern-Guilt) said...

Blazers are probably my favourite article of clothing EVER, what a great round-up! I want every one of these styles but for the time being I'm going to have to live with the fact that I've only got a few!
One day I'll have that Gucci long blazer... :P
amazing post as always CC!

Siljesfashion said...

Love all my blazers. Great advice about fitting. The Balmain tux jacket is very high on my wishlist! Also, I looked for the YSL as soon as I saw your post but could not find them so I guess they are sold out.. Let me know if you happen to see them anywhere!!!

Fashion_Girl22 said...

I love blazers! They are a staple for any season. The best display of blazers to me was Balenciaga Fall 2007.

Lisa said...

Great finds! I wore my black cotton blazer with a gray puff-sleeved top. You're right...blazers just instantly make you feel put-together.

Gonzalo Rossello said...

Muy buena seleccion de pics!

1- las primeras chicas, toda la onda! Y que taconazos! q vertigo!

2- los GG, siempre impecables.

3- El estilo ecuestre es muy bueno para el fin de semana, con los parches en los codos quedan fantasticos!

4- Los unicos que no me convencen son los que tienen escudos y los oversizes!

Saludos!

leeselooks said...

CC. best. everrrrrrrrrrrr.

you are making drool over that Balmain blazer...

you forever feed my "craziness" ;)

thanks for this AMAZING post.

miss vintage love said...

I love the fact that blazers can go with pretty much anything!

Johanna - Life by Me said...

You can really wear blazers with everything and at anytime! I have a regular black one and I turn the sleeves up to get the updated look :)
But I need more! I want a tweedy one and a "Chuck Bass" lookie :)

http://myshoebox.se

Seeker said...

I love blazers. I have quite some but most in the same style, because many are from pants suits, because I need them sometimes to go to meetings or something at the office.
I think you made a great round with styles.

xoxo

Miranda said...

i used to dislike blazers
now i'm mad about them<3 i only have one though. haha. :)
i love how it transforms an entire outfit from comfy casual to casual chic! love!

MISS GLITZY said...

I definitely have to find a jacket, like the one by Balmain, so beautiful.

Katarina Kühl ~ PencilFashion said...

the lady with the yellow jacket has a great outfit, just very chic!

A. said...

I want a blazer SO bad! There is this awesome one at Urban Outfitters but I need to save up money.

Da Fashionista said...

Wonderful choices! I really want the nubby grape dream from j crew but restraining myself. just went on a bit of a spree at a resale shop. burberry quilted jacket and ysl tribute patent platform mary janes. naughty naughty d.

Anonymous said...

I love a good fitted cropped blazer. So classic and chic!

And I love your 'uniform' - it's very cool :D

Susanna-Cole King said...

I like blazers, and though I've bought a couple, I've yet to find any that I don't end up later disliking... your post has given me much blazer inspiration though! :)

xoxo,
S-C

Nikki said...

i am a big fan of blazers, i currently have three in my closet and there's no stopping me from acquiring more =D blazers make even the most slacker outfits look totally put together!

and love the balenciaga, smythe, and balmain blazers you posted! =D

Elizabeth said...

I can't wait for the cool weather to come so I can wear my blazers.

Danz said...

Hey Carrie! I looovvvee blazers so I'd take them in any style they come in (as long as it looks good on me, of course). Classic blazers are great but I'd really love a brightly coloured, patterned or embellished one!

I also wanted to let you know that I'm currently running a contest on my blog to win a $25 gift certificate from a lovely online boutique. I hope you'll check it out!

Enjoy your day tomorrow dear :)

Anonymous said...

I love this post! I will be coming back to it for outfit inspiration and styling ideas :)

I just love blazers, they are my go to uniform.
Thank you for giving me so many ideas in one fab hit!

Pamcasso said...

love this post! Great inspiration! At my age, I've really just figured out the joy of blazers and jackets as part of the daily wardrobe:)

Alison Purple said...

you know...I like the way they look - but honestly, blazers are not my personal style. I am more of a flowing girl.

LenoreNeverM♡re said...

thank you for your nice words 7 upport...I have alittle someting-something for you posted as my "finale f Barb"...hope u like

♥ Marta ♥ said...

I love uniform blazers.... I've been specifically looking for a classic Ralph Lauren with the crest... but I can't find one.... :(

Anonymous said...

oh man .i am in love with the floral blazer and pants from daughters by obedient sons. <3

ashleigh said...

a blazer is the key!

along side my leather jacket it is my favorite piece :)

i loooved this post!

Songy said...

Gucci and Antonio ..great inspiration for me. I could try the look of Antonio. I never thought I would wear it with a pencil skirt. great idea.

Anonymous said...

i really have something for blazer this season..But they have to be really well designed!

Sasi said...

Love the Mizrahi's outfit. And agree, autumn is the perfect time for blazer. I'm gonna rock the one I found in mom's closet eheh:)

Anonymous said...

What I love most are the leather and military jackets and the Chuck bass inspired blazer. and its so true, a nice blazer, a tunic, and skinny jeans with heels, works every single time! It can never get boring and its classic! :)

p.s. i love the pair of purple heels the girl in the first photo is wearing!

Cate said...

Hey CC! the style and the city picture is really cool, the girls look awesome! that "uniform" is really a lifesaver combination! wow, that carolina herrera gown is stunning, i don't think i would wear a jacket with it. love the casual william rast look.
I can't believe i don't have a blazer yet. I think I'll start with buying one, then I'll think about the remaining 11 ^^
Aw, I love velvet blazers. I love velvet. Maybe I'll get one of those.
And Blake Lively looks so chic in this yellow blazer! That girl just always gets it right.
Oh, if only I had the money to afford a Chanel bouclé...

So Stylish So Sassy said...

great post! love the military look.

Dana (MODAna) said...

the one with all the crests is SO inspiring
I need to diy that

Tricia said...

Love the blazer trend, and what a great group!

Jadore-Fashion said...

blazers are so chic, they make something simple to fierce! love the equestria blazer!

:)
xoxo

MakeupByRenRen said...

i love blazers...always so chic and flattering to any figure!

Penny Lane said...

i love the tweed blazer with the elbow patches. i love old man style!! that paired with a bow tie would be adorable!

Anonymous said...

I never thought I could love blazers this much, but those look fabulous. Love it love it love it. Must buy one.
I always end up thinking I need something more for my wardrope after reading your fab blog ^^

btw, thank you SO MUCH for your advice :)

Rock on!
Raspberry

Crave said...

Great Post! I'm momentarily obsessed with the look of a sharp black blazer over a frilly dress or with a white v-neck tee (so james dean)....

Nicole Linette said...

Blazer's make me extremely happy :)


peace&love
nicole.

Carolina Lange said...

Another amazing post!
I love to wear blazers!

La Belette Rouge said...

I have given you an award. Come by my blog and see.:-)