Friday, July 16, 2021

CC Interview with Sotheby's Jewelry Expert Tiffany Dubin!

Darlings, CC is super excited to introduce you to Tiffany Dubin, Senior Business Development Executive at Sotheby's auction house in New York! Ms. Dubin, an art and jewelry expert, recently curated (with London gallery owner Louisa Guinness) a pop-up exhibition of art-inspired jewelry. "Sculpture to Wear" will be on view at Sotheby's East Hampton from August 3 through August 28, 2021. If you can't make it out to the Hamptons to see the show, not to worry! CC had the incredible opportunity to interview Ms. Dubin. Please see my queries and her brilliant responses below!

Favorite Artist: Gustav Klimt the Austrian Symbolist painter however I love everything from that era.

Klimt, Portrait of Baroness Elisabeth Bachoven Echt, c. 1914.

Favorite piece from Sculpture to Wear
The William Copley’s  necklace with the naked girls running around.  I was introduced to Copley’s a few years back through an exhibit Adam Lindeman curated a few years back and was struck by his American Pop Art sensibility mixed with Surrealist humor and riffing sexuality. 


The necklace he made for Louisa Guinness shows his high style, with ten of his cartoonish figures suspended from a circular link chain.  This is an object that can be played with and manipulated in various ways. I think this is the absolute expression of the artist’s DNA.  However I am also obsessed with the Man Ray lips based on his 1936 surrealist painting.  The surrealists believed in the concept of the devouring woman... Well I would like to devour that necklace! 
 

How does your current career differ from what you envisioned doing when you were at Georgetown?
When I was at Georgetown I studied Eastern European affairs and thought I was going into the diplomatic corp. I had visions of being Keri Russell on The Americans.  Instead I am an art world version of a character in “Call my Agent” keeping clients happy and business afloat. 

As a former boutique owner (I miss Henri Bendel!), what are your go-to shops, online and/or brick-and-mortar, for the most fabulous clothing and accessories?
My go to for this summer has been Reformation introduced to me by my daughter.  I love AmandaRossGirl, Soler in London, I still look for old favorites on eBay, theRealReal, obsessed with Live Auctioneers, Matches based out of London, Moda Operandi.  

Who is your favorite fashion designer, past or present? Which label do you currently wear most?
I have to say I dress in a bit of a hodgepodge of old YSL, old Valentino,  70s silk blouses, adapted vintage items I update to today with a superb dressmaker. 
I do have a Chanel ballet slipper habit but buy them on eBay. 
They are just super comfy to me.  
Cotton and grosgrain ballerinas, at chanel.com.

However my favorite designer of all time is not a fashion designer but a mind blowingly talented jewelry designer named Rene Biovin who ironically was related to Paul Poiret.  As a disco child from the 80’s I am obsessed with her version of disco jewelry in the 30’s and have managed to collect a few of her brooches since they have been a bit under the radar. 
Rene Biovin Art Deco necklace.

If you could visit only one museum or gallery for the rest of time, which one would you choose?
I think it would be a choice between the Louvre or placing myself at Peggy Guggenheim house/museum in Venice and having constant revolving artist shows come in and out every time there was a new biennale.  
If I did that I would probably channel the Marchesa Luisa de Casati and hold legendary soirĂ©es and look to spot today’s new Fortuny or Poiret. I agree with her; there is too much sameness in the world and one should be a work of art.
 
Of all the places you've lived or visited, which is/was your favorite? 
I am madly, deeply in love with Capri and my fantasy in life is to have a fabulous house in Capri where I could have constantly  revolving groups of friends who were artists, philosophers, writers, thinkers from all parts of life join me.


A big CC thank you to Ms. Dubin and to Ron Boling of Jonathan Marder + Co. in NYC for the intro!
xoxox,
CC

1 comment:

R's Rue said...

I love this interview. Lucky you. Have a fashionable day.